Friday, April 2, 2010

7th Day Raw - 1 Week!

Today marks 1 week being raw, yay!

I've been doing a lot of research on health in general in the past week, and I've learned so much. For example, yesterday I learned that drinking the recommended 3 glasses of milk a day that we've been told since before I was born would help prevent osteoporosis, actually worsens the condition. Why? Because when we eat something high in animal protein our body becomes more acidic and must neutralize the extra acidity by pulling calcium from our bones! (Seriously, Google it) Remember who sponsored all those "got milk?" ads showing those slim, fit, sexy celebs with a milk mustache?

The California Milk Processor Board
"The California Milk Processor Board is a nonprofit marketing board funded by California dairy processors, and administered by the California Department of Food and Agriculture, most famous for its Got Milk? advertising campaign.

The organization was created in 1993 to counter falling sales of milk as Americans switched to soft drinks, health drinks, and other beverages."

In other words, the people telling you milk will make you sexy and healthy are the people who are selling you the milk, not an independent association with objective, unbiased research. Imagine if you went to a fair and encountered a nutritionist walking around handing out fliers about how healthy lettuce was and how you should eat 3 salads every day. You, in an attempt to be healthier, buy a bunch of lettuce based on this information. On your way out of the fair, you notice the lettuce farmer handing cash to the nutritionist for giving out those fliers that convinced you to eat more lettuce. Wouldn't you be a little annoyed? I would! I thought the advice was coming from someone who studied the facts and came to an independent conclusion about the healthiness of eating a crap tone of lettuce, not because she was paid to! How do I know there is any validity in this information knowing it's so biased? I don't.

Check out this info

Anyway, enough of a rant for today. Happy 1 week to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment