Games
We watched a large portion of the Strongman Games. Think that's what they are called. Anyway, these guys are insane. The first game they took a huge, 18 foot long 110 pound "stick" and tried to toss it end over end. In the picture you can see the guy preparing to toss it. I forget what the log is called, so sue me.

The idea is to get the log to flip and hit as close to a 90 degree angle as possible. How they don't whack themselves in the face, I don't know.
Next they took a similar bit different stick and tried to throw it the farthest. The length of the throw is measured from the throwing line to the furthest end of the stick. So if they can flip the log they can gain another 18 or so feet of length.
* J tells me the 'stick' is called a 'cabre' or something like that
Lastly there is the stones competition. There are I think 5 stones ranging from something like 150 Lbs to 300 something. They are round and smooth, placed x feet from a box that is x high. The heavier the stone the closer to the box and the shorter the box is. They start at the lightest one and work up to the heaviest. Oh, and they have to do it in 2 minutes or less. I think only 2 out of the 6 or so competitors were able to get all the stones up in time.
Music
There was a tent devoted to music all day. The most popular band with little roadies everywhere was Albanach. I got video of them on my phone but it's a weird format my computer doesn't recognize and I really don't feel like spending 2 hours trying to figure it out and cursing at my poor baby Selene even though it's not her fault and bla bla bla.... what was I saying? Oh right... ok pictures of Albanach:

The other most popular band, as far as I could tell, was Red Hot Chilli Pipers which mostly did cover songs. I didn't see them playing but here are two of them hanging out at their tent flirting with some blonde girl:
These guys had a uniform. Black utilikilt with a black button up shirt with embroidered red logo of some kind, probably the band logo. Red knee socks, black shoes and lots of hair gel. The girl sitting is the one that was flirting with them all day.There was some other musicians but I didn't see them. There was also supposed to be harp groups. They were in the inn somewhere and we wandered around but couldn't find them. :(
KILTS!
This was the closest thing to a men's fashion show I've ever seen, and not in a metro kinda way. It was cool to see the different ways men wore kilts, from full traditional attire with kilt in family tartan, knee high socks, etc. to guys in utilikilts, workboots and a T shirt to the gothed out kilts ensembles in all black. I wish I had gotten some pictures of different outfits. Don't know what I was thinking... I guess I was just blinded by the hotness of so many guys in kilts.
There were some women in kilt-like skirts and a few in full Scottish/Irish costume, but not nearly so many as the men.
Food
Various meats in bread in different shapes with funny names. I gave up and ate something with beef in it... ick. But I did have a yummy jam tart of some kind! No haggis. They were out. Darn...
Shopping
Mostly there was, of course, various tartan items. Kilts, scarves, hats, ties... bla bla. Second most popular was Celtic jewelry, mostly the same items at every stall which was disappointing. I tried to find a Claddagh ring but the first place had them way overpriced and the second didn't have my size. Bleh. There was one stall that had unique, handmade items which were expensive compared to regular jewelry but well priced considering. Another place had some flags and Scott, being a 'footie' lover, picked up two. Probably for curtains :-p
MAN DOWN!
So Scott's friend decided to try and pick up one of the heavy balls used in the strong man games and his ankle made a loud popping sound. Twice. Ouchies... not broken but he def pulled something. I missed that excitement, but I have a picture of the aftermath:

Leaving
This was just cool. On the way out we had to walk over a bridge to where the busses were carting people to the various parking areas. There was a group of guys in kilt uniforms standing on this huge rock in the stream below, singing for the people leaving.

And that's all I got, folks! Other stuff I missed and must see next year: Scottish dancing!
Visit the NH Highland Games website
No comments:
Post a Comment